Thursday 23 January 2014

Vanilla Bean Muffin with Cheese Cream Frosting - Baked in nostalgia of Coorg

Vacations are always good and those vacations where you have had a wonderful time lingers for long time on your mind. I have been really busy with work and so many things, on my to do list for few weeks now. As I was dealing with fatigue and stress, I just remembered my vacation in Coorg couple of months back. We all had awesome time in Coorg and even here I would like to thank, our host Mr. and Mrs. Ganapathi of Coorg Classic home stay. One of the exciting thing was to visit coffee plantation and there we got to see spice garden. It was so thrilling to see black paper bunch which was still green. Cardamom, Cinnamon and various other spice are grown in this region of south India along with coffee. The most exciting bit for me was “Vanilla Pods”. Its smell so awesome and induced appetite for cake. Apologies for not posting those pics due to some technical issue with them but here is the pic of my Vanilla Pods.


So I have brought quite a few pod for baking.  I had decided to do a recipe in which the vanilla bean will be the star and did not got a chance to do.  So now when Coorg poped up in my head again I decided to put everything on hold and take comfort in baking vanilla bean muffin.

It’s a very easy recipe, actually nothing much to do then mixing everything in one go.
Vanilla bean Muffin
1  cup Flour
1/4 cup Vanilla Custard Powder
1 tsp Salt
 2 tsp Baking Powder
100 gm Butter, softened at room temperature
 3/4 cup Powder sugar
1 egg (Use ½ cup of curd, if don’t want to use egg)
1 cup milk
1 Pod of Vanilla Pod scrapped (you can use 1 tps of real vanilla essence, if don’t get the pod)
Pre-heat the oven at 180 ºC
Line your muffin mould with butter and sprinkle flour evenly.
 (You can use paper moulds as well but as I don’t have them right now I am doing without it.)
Mix and sift are the dry ingredients together.
Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
Add the egg (or Curd) and mix for 1 minute.
Then add the dry mixture small amount at a time and alter it with addition of milk.
Add vanilla beans in the batter. Mix well and pour the batter in muffin mould.
Bake at 200 ºC for 30 minutes until golden brown on top. Let it cool in the oven then transfer on rack for further cooling.

Cream Cheese Frosting
½ Cup of Cream Cheese, Softened, at room temperature

 ¼ Cup Butter, Softened, at room temperature

1/2  teaspoon vanilla extract

2 Cups Powder Sugar

 Beat together the softened cream cheese and butter until creamy.

Add in the vanilla extract and beat for another 30 seconds.

Now start adding the powder sugar 1 cup at a time and beating in between each addition. You can make this frosting before and refrigerate. At the time of usages can give it a whisk and pipe.

I used a soft plastic bag for piping. Filled it up with frosting and pushed the cream in one of the corners and then tied a band to make my piping bag. Cut a moderated opening to pipe the icing on muffin. Start with outer edge and come circling till center. Drop some chocolate chips or colored vermicelli for fun.



You could see small beans in the muffin; they intensify of flavor and fragrance of muffins and make them shine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I know this is kinda off topic however I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
    My site discusses a lot of the same topics as yours and
    I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the way!


    Here is my webpage - I Heart Jesus Charm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Are you sure..that's your webpage link? Please share your webpage link and we could get going from there

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?